Sunday, July 13, 2014

Two hearts, One Frida


Saturday July 12 was La Raza Galeria Posada's 'Bound By Love: A Tribute to Frida Khalo; in which there was a reproduction of Khalo's bedroom along with Frida inspired paintings by artist Martha Rodriguez

A replica of Khalo's bedroom with the help of Lucy Robles-Garcia and La Raza Galeria Staff


"Broken" Acrylic on Canvas 2014 by Martha Rodriguez
Along with the exquisite exhibition a three-part Frida contest took place. First went the "Friditas",followed by Diego and Frida and lastly the Frida Lookalike contest. My sister and I entered as a pair for part 3.
Friditia contestants (in which they were all winners)
Some Frida and Diego Contestants (left) Chosen winners
(Right) "Los Dos Fridas" by Frida Khalo (Left) Our contest entry for the lookalike contest
Now, believe it or not, this project took my sister and I nine hours to complete. My sister made her skirt out of an old sheet and her blouse was hand painted blue and yellow. My white ensemble was also hand painted. It took us a while to think about how to do my neck high blouse but we came up with a nifty solution. I bought a $3 white button up blouse from the Davis SPCA thrift store and simply wore in backwards! As for our hearts, the core of them are paper bags crumbled up and bound tightly by tape. The red is painted aluminum foil wrapped loosely around the paper.

Our unibrow game was excellent


Lauren and I were contestants #1 and #2 which I was thankful for. I always volunteered to go first for school presentations. I get so antsy waiting.   


We had Diego hold our backdrop. :P

We were sweating a little because the competition was pret-ty darn amazing. 


 Alas, our nine hours of dedication paid off! My sister and I were the first to ever win the Frida Khalo lookalike contest hosted by La Raza Galeria Posada!  We were grateful they appreciated that we were "two hearts, one Frida". 



One member of the press got a particularly close photograph of my unibrow. Hahha

My sister and I and the Diego/Frida contestant winners

 We ended the day by taking some photos near the amazing Frida bedroom replica. 

My sister and I with another Frida sister pair 

Our proud Mama (left)

(Middle La Raza Galeria Posada's director Martha Rodriguez)
 We are super excited for next years competition because next year Lauren and I will be competing against eachother. It's going to be an epic uni-brow battle. 

 You can read about the entire event on The Sacramento Bee's website here.


Thanks for stopping by!




1 comment:

  1. Bridgett, Your sister and you were the MOST outstanding Fridas at the Frida Look-Alike Contest! Your recreation of Frida Kahlo's painting, "The Two Fridas" was hella GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete