Thursday, May 2, 2013

Q.U.E.E.N. by Janelle Monae




Janelle Monae just released the song and video Q.U.E.E.N. If I had to sum it up in three words it would be:
  • "mod-lishous"
  • funky
  • revolutionary

When I first heard her album Archandroid a couple years back I was blown away. But when I first saw the short film "Many Moons" that's when I fell in love with her!  Unlike a lot of artists these days, her music videos directly relate to the song being featured. I personally think her doing this makes for a more well rounded artist. 

The video Q.U.E.E.N is primarily in black and white (which may be a metaphor on how plain and simple the message is or how the world is "black and white"). Some of her first opening lyrics pretty much introduce the "thesis" of the song:

"They call us dirty 'cuz we break all your rules down
And we just came to act a fool, is that all right (Girl, that's alright)
They be like Ooh, let them eat cake          
But we eat wings and throw them bones on the ground"

Them be fighting words against the  "the man" don't you agree? 



"She who writes the movie owns the script and the sequel." 

Throughout the song she references revolutionary women such as Queen Nefertiti and Harriet Tubman. I think Janelle Monae is making her point clear that like these women, she won't be "put in a box" and the song is to encourage people to not only be themselves, but truly be the best they can be. 

"Even if it makes others uncomfortable
I wanna love who I am
Even if it makes other uncomfortableI will love who I am"

 


Fighting for freedom always seems to be weaved into all of Monae's songs. 
Whether it's sexual freedom:

"Am I a sinner with my skirt on the ground?"

or religious freedom:

"Hey sister am I good enough for your heaven?
Say will your God accept me in my black and white?"

Monae is on the front-lines for self-empowerment. 





So the bottom line (hahah it literally is here in this post...get it? :P) is that Monae is an inspiration to me. 

P.S. I also admire her wearing suits all the time. I suppose by wearing them she's not only making a fashion statement but making a statement on breaching the standard like Marlene Dietrich did back in the 1930s. 

I honestly could write about each line in Q.U.E.E.N but I had to remind myself this isn't a book, it's a blog! ^_^.




No comments:

Post a Comment