Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Let Them Eat Cheesecake!

Let me start off by saying descriptions of European dinning of the extremely wealthy from the 16th to 18th century sound like heaven to me. Of course, while I would probably be unable to finish a 15 course meal, I do indulge every once in a while...or erhmmm ....every other day...Shhhh




Did you know that two days ago, July 30th, was National Cheesecake day? In honor of Marie Antoinette I decided to dine at the Cheescake Factory in Sacramento. While the ever so famous Marie Antoinette was King Louis XVI's wife (Not our King Louis but his successor's) I thought I would throw a reference since it was quite apropos. 


Luckily this post includes three purty pictures of three quite purty cheesecakes (Thanks to my husband and brother in-law!) 

First of all, I was so thrilled when my husband chose the Pineapple Upside-down cake because of its vintage look ^_^. It never fails; every time I see this kind of cake it conjures images in my mind of a 1950's housewife in a scalloped apron proudly holding her cake up for her guests. This modern twist on a traditional cake recipe was SWELL!


Vintage Betty Crocker Pineapple upside-Down cake advertisement.

*FUN FACT:
Canned Pineapples were not available until 1903.


Whenever I go eat out with my brother in-law, I can always count on him buying anything Oreo-related. Whether it's the new ridiculously beautiful and huge Oreo Sundae at Baskin Robbins or any of the new Oreo products (like the Ice Cream Oreos) he just can't resist. After I saw his cheesecake order,  I snapped my fingers in regret that I didn't choose the masterpiece. Isn't it a beauty?





Oreo cookies advertisement circa 1924.

FUN FACT: Oreo cookies have been around since 1912! (I thought they were decades younger than that!)



Since I thought I'd be "fancy" I chose a delectable Ultimate Red Velvet Cheesecake. Now, this may sound icky but I ate this in about ten forkfuls. The richness was  just right and each forkful went down smooth. Now, there is no "FUN FACT" for this because the history of it is so contested! One thing is for sure, of the three yummy foods that influenced the delicious cheesecakes eaten that night, mine was certainly the oldest.  According to the website Gilt Taste, red velvet dates back to at least 1873









No comments:

Post a Comment